Posts Tagged ‘Ollalieberry’

The blackberries are waking up. It seems the thorned varieties are growing like crazy while my thornless varieties have not reached their full potential.Image

You can see from the photo above that the thornless varieties are thriving but not as vigorous as the thorned varieties. The three blackberries from right to left are Triple Crown. The blackberry on the far left is the Black Satin, which experienced some die back. It too has new growth, but I may end up replacing it, if the plant appears to struggle again.


Pictured above is the Marionberry and behind it is a thorned Boysenberry. The plants have exploded with new growth.


The Olallie has made some progress but is not as vigorous as the Boysenberry or Marionberry.

There is a new thick primocane coming up on one of my Triple Crown Blackberries. I would like to see four or five more come out just like it.

Some more primocanes coming from another Triple Crown Blackberry.

Ripening Marionberries.

Triple Crown blackberry blossoms.


Read Full Post »

I was getting real nervous about the thornless blackberry plants that went in the ground last July. They thrived right through fall and then came the winter rains which caused my berries to become saturated. The  Triple Crowns have nice green vines and the buds are swelling. I am finally seeing some green.  These are last years canes that will provide me with some fruit this season.  I have not seen new canes come from the crown of the plant yet. Hopefully, I will see some monster canes in the next few weeks. See photos below. You can click on the photos to enlarge them.

The buds are beginning to break on my Triple Crown Blackberries. I guess they wanted a little extra sleep since they are still growing.

Some more emerging growth from the Triple Crown Blackberry.

I am still worries about my Black Satin though. It has only one green cane and the rest have turned brown and are starting to shrink. It may have succumbed to the water logged soil. If the plant does not show signs of life, I will put another blackberry in it’s place. See photo below.

The Black Satin seems to be having a tough time. I will be patient. Eventually I may have to replace it with another berry variety.

The recently planted thorned varieties are doing very well. They are ill small since they were planted about a month ago. But they are showing new signs of growth.

The Boysenberry plant seems very happy. It should be very large by the end of fall.

The Olallieberry is planted in the lowest part of my yard and is underwater far more than the rest of the plants. I would say that this plant seems to be taking the abuse well.

Even the potted Marionberry, which I thought was dead over the summer from lack of watering is showing signs of life. I planted a month ago in the ground, not expecting much.

Read Full Post »

Planted the Marionberry and Olallieberry and pounded in the trellis to support them. I hope there is enough room for the semi Dwarf Anna Apple Tree and the berry bushes. I think I will be trimming heavily over the next few years.

The Olallieberry will be trained against our outdoor dog enclosure, which our dog only uses during the heat of the summer. At least the plant will provide shade for her.

Read Full Post »

I worked a couple of hours today, adding another two blackberry plants that are in the ground, (not in pots). That makes 6 blackberries that have escaped death because I sometimes buy the plants with all of the intention of planting them until a heat wave comes along and kills them. I planted an Ollalie Blackberry that was purchased from Walter Anderson’s nursery in Poway and a Marionberry that was purchased last fall at Home Depot. I also have three Triple Crown Blackberries and 1 Black Satin Blackberry that were planted last summer.  I have 5 varieties of berries planted with one more hole to dig tomorrow for a Boysenberry plant. That will be 6 varities TOTAL!  If you want a sure fire blackberry for Southern California, it has to be a Boysenberry. It is what made Knott’s Berry Farm famous.

In order for me to plant the Ollalieberry, I had to move a stack of firewood against our outdoor dog enclosure. It wasn’t too long after digging that discovered three irrigation pipes and an a low voltage irrigation wire. I gently dug around them for a few minutes and planted the Ollalieberry in my desired location. The Marionberry was planted about 5 feet away. This time I hit a drainage pipe and a large chunk of concrete. Again, I managed to dig around the obstacles to plant the Marionberry. I have to dig the third hole for the Boysenberry and then pound two 7 foot steel T-stakes for the trellis support. I will be sore tomorrow.

I also decided to get rid of my junk that has piled up. One of my lawn mowers that has seen better days will be donated to a lawn mower repair company, a kiddy pool and a really old toddler swing will be thrown out too. We have 2 planted climbing roses that have seen better days. They old roses will be chopped up and the pots will be cleaned and replanted with something fresh and new.  Hopefully, I will remember to take pictures and have the energy to post them tomorrow. You can double click on the photos below to get more detail.

Moved some firewood to get the Ollalieberry location right. As the plant grows, the tarp will be trimmed to expose the chain link that will be used to tie the canes upright.
I had to move the rocks from our fake stream bed to dig the hole for this poor Marionberry who was kept in a pot for 6 months. A trellis will be installed tomorrow to hold the canes off the ground.

Some of the junk I spoke of hiding behind the Anna Apple. It will be gone tomorrow!

Read Full Post »

%d bloggers like this: